The Golden Hour, the time period in which many trauma patients can be saved if they receive definitive treatment.
In its seventh season, Grey’s Anatomy is an hour-long drama that entertains through the personal and professional lives of the medical staff at Seattle’s Grace Hospital. Each episode describes the dramatic emergency room experiences that occur in a large hospital’s emergency room and how each emergency is resolved by the capable staff.
1) “The Golden Hour” a time of only sixty minutes and 3600 seconds, a lot can happen in an emergency room. How does that compare to me idly consuming an hour of time watching the show? I should have exercised, but I didn’t, instead I ate a sandwich and drank a beer. It was a relaxing hour.
2) If television is our main storyteller, what story is it telling? That consumers tastes have changed from the days of sit-coms to realty shows that show danger such as The Ice Truckers and The deadliest Catch to showcasing America’s talent with American Idol. So producers and studios have to continually adapt when they plan the programming they hope viewers will enjoy and watch on a weekly and sometimes daily basis.
3) Some of the products displayed were potato chips and soda as snacks. The cultural messages were fertility drugs (bad side-effects of on following episode), restaurant dinners as avenues for a date, health care insurance, basketball’s Pac 10 and March Madness. What the producers of television shows are actually hoping to accomplish is to create a product, their show(s), that will attract an audience and eventual profit from sponsors that pay for commercials. It’s a business. One cultural message was exhibited through a patient that Dr. Grey believed displayed the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. The patient’s husband was adamant that nothing was wrong with his wife although Alzheimer’s disease is Dr. Grey’s focus of study. The husband was the hospital’s chief resident.
4) The message this show tries to reinforce is a confirmation to people entering an ER that any treatment that is required for a life/limb saving resolution will be used. Hospital staff will choose to err on the side of cautious as this episode hilariously proves when four doctors are discussing the risks of retracting a knife blade from a patient’s head when in the b.g. the patient’s drunk buddy pulls the knife out without any complications. I enjoy Grey’s Anatomy because I appreciate that the show’s actors have convinced me that they are medical professionals capable of handling the mental/physical chaos and crisis in an emergency room. The procedures, the urgency to save life or limb, plus the realism of the surgeries on Grey’s Anatomy are awesome.
5) The thesis of “The Golden Hour” illustrates the extraordinary capabilities of a large hospital’s staff as it showcases one hour (3600 seconds), 1800-1900 on the hospital’s clock, during this Golden Hour a man with a knife protruding from his head is helped, a 4-year-old boy’s broken femur is set in a cast, a male patient complaining of migraines is saved as he suffers a stroke and dumps an uncaring girlfriend, the chief’s wife is treated for a broken wrist and she is also suspected of displaying Alzheimer’s disease qualities all while a bored/patient man, Oliver, good-naturedly endures multiple tests with hopes that one will determine his chest pains. Unfortunately, this time the staff loses and Oliver dies on the operating table from a ruptured aorta. He was outside of the golden hour. Possibly, the author chose this subject because us mere mortals should be impressed and amazed about the life and limb saving capabilities of a large hospital. Dr. Grey narrates as her character talks to Oliver’s wife, “An hour, one hour can change everything, forever.”
6) Grey’s anatomy appeals to me because it has developed like-able characters that portray realistic lives and skills of a large hospital’s medical staff. But, maybe the show offers comfort to people that whenever a medical emergency arises that there really are professionals that can help. Sometimes, all they need is an hour.
7) According to our text the majority of Grey’s anatomy audience consists of women over 35 years of age. The commercials were from Geico Insurance, Dove deodorant, Zyrtec Liquid Gels, 5 Hour Energy, Hyundai and Allure Beauty products. Allure, Dove and 5 Hour Energy used actresses exclusively.
8) As a group the characters act like the type of people I would like to know. I believe that a story can’t be successful if there isn’t at least one character that a reader or viewer cares about.
9) I do not like reality shows, golf, tennis, bowling or soaps.